Sunday, July 19, 2009

Haywood Wakefield???



I went to an auction today on the spur of the moment because I ran across an auction selling some Haywood Wakefield furniture. Yes, they spelled it wrong, so I thought maybe the evil heywake dealer wouldn't show up and I could get a deal??? I arrive at the auction and there are literally 12 people there. I asked the man what time were they planning on selling the furniture and he put it up right away for me. I was the only one interested and the auctioneer asked me what I wanted to pay for it. I said $50! He laughed and told me he wanted $500 for it. I laughed and told him no way! He said that's a deal for "Haywood Wakefield". I told him I was looking for a bargain and if I wanted to pay that much I would go to a dealer! I also told him if he really wanted to get $500 bucks for it he should have made sure he spelled the name right when he advertised the auction! It was a very weird auction? I left extremely confused because never in my life have I been asked by an auctioneer how much I wanted to pay for something and then told I would pay $500. Hmmm, lets see that's really not an auction is it?

5 comments:

  1. Ugh...I hate situations like that. You handled yourself well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, total bummer. It sucks when something like that happens, but you were very good about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, not an auction. I'm so sick of stingy ass people trying to make a fortune off HeyWake. Or anything old, for that matter.
    I'm constantly in shock how much people are selling vintage clothing for! A basic black cocktail dress: $300. I'm not paying that much for something that will probably fall apart on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah that pretty much killed the whole auction spirit. and hahaha about telling the guy to spell it right.

    ReplyDelete